Just wondering, does anybody know or have a child with a blog? I'm asking because Isabelle has been wanting one for quite a while now. I'm starting to think that if it gave her a creative outlet and had her working on her spelling and writing, it might not be a bad thing. Of course, she would have a pseudoname and only a handful of friends would be invited to view since I would insist it be kept private.
But I'm wondering if I'd be setting her up for blog addiction?!? Any thoughts? She's been asking since the summer. And I have to admit that her time on the computer has, so far, been very fruitful. She's enjoying math, geography and now Latin online. And she seems to be wired different from the rest of my kiddos. Hmmmmm...
My biggest worry is that she'll become addicted, especially to checking it often for comments. ;-)
*Maybe a private blog with no comments?? What do you think?
*Although comments are my favorite part!! Its a form of socializing and she's probably more social than I am.
I think it would probably turn into an online diary .... with pictures. She's very fond of taking pictures and seeing videos. Since I'm not the type of mom that sits down and scrapbooks with her, maybe this could fill that gap?? I've gone back and forth on this since the summer. She actually has a blog but has yet to post because I'm still on the fence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Lem has one. It is private so only family have the link to it. I thought it would be a great way to get her to write. She updates it very infrequently, but when she does, it is all hers.
She mostly posts pictures on hers. No addiction noted as of yet. Shoes on the other hand...
I'd think that if you limit computer time and keep it private, it should be safe enough. She can check for comments during her regularly scheduled blogging time the next day. :-) Might be a good rule for all of us!
You know, you could also look into a LiveJournal account - you have the option of keeping those private too, so it's more like an electronic diary than anything else?
I think, for what it's worth, that addictions are much easier to come by when you're not allowed to do something than when you are. If you set appropriate, reasonable limits and enforce them, I don't think it's likely to be harmful.
My friend Jennifer has allowed her girls to start their own blogs. I can't find those links right now...but she did blog about their blogs a few months back. http://lifewithgirls.blogspot.com/
For what it's worth...We would love to read a blog written by her! We miss you all so much!!!
Beverly
Post a Comment