Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Emails and short term thinking!!

So this has been bothering me lately so I thought I'd blog about it.

It's about my email address.....

I used to be anti-email because I wasn't very good at keeping up with it. And I had issues with email, such as foot-in-mouth-can't-take-back-what-you-email phobia. So my solution was to not have email.

Well, that proved to be quite a pain whenever I didn't know what was going on in my homeschooling group or kids' choir or Familia group, etc., etc., etc. So I finally broke down and got an email account. However, when I was trying to register, every name I tried was taken. Lill*anMSmith, Lill*anSmith, MrsSm*th, MrsLMSm*th, ManyBlessings, Momtomany, etc., etc., etc. After over an hour of trying out names that I wanted to be able to remember, I figured I would just use the first two letters of each of my kids' names. Hence the email address:

ISANSOKO@yahoo
... derived from ISabelle, ANna, SOphia, KOlbe

Well, I now have a Catherine! And I didn't think it would be that much of an issue. I figured she wouldn't know so no harm done. But the only way I can make sure I type my email correctly is to actually say my kids' names in my head.

Except that I'm now adding Catherine's name in the line up but her name's not actually in my email address. I know this is VERY trivial but I'm constantly reminded that she's not included. I've thought about changing my address but that's the same as cancelling a monthly automatic bank withdrawel (which reminds me I need to cancel my YMCA membership!!). So what to do? And what to use as a new email?? If only Smith weren't so Smith ... common. Maybe I could be La Smith's? Or is that El Smiths?? Either way they're not taken! But they don't look right either: lasmiths elsmiths

That's like the Oneders.

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Try adding underlines between words, like l_smith or somesuch thing. My old email was my name with underlines between and including my middle initial, because both my first and last names are very common, too. Blogging, though, I feel more comfortable with a bit of anonymity, so I changed it a few months ago to make it harder for strangers to locate me. If your email is your name, and you put it out there where you live, it's very easy to find a person. For instance, I had no trouble locating angoraknitter's address and phone number once she posted her email address: it includes her name and I knew from her blog that she lived at ft irwin.

So, since we all know where you live, be careful about your email "handle"!

Lillian said...

Thank you so much for that advice. I never even thought about that!!

Blair said...

How about adding a number like your wedding year Smith2006, or FamiliaSmith, or craigandlillian96, or Lillian1975smith, or LillianSA2000. Steven's been wanting to change us over to gMail since it's apparently the best and has the most storage. Maybe when you move, you can change it to something with "SA" and move over to gmail, so there's an obvious reason, and you'll have more storage! Happy Our Lady of Guadalupe!

Angoraknitter said...

Or not use your name. I want to change my e-mail, but it's too firmly established...Think back to immaginative childhood, find the alter ego and choose a name that describes you, but won't give away your true identity, like a super hero kind of thing. Since you've got a move coming up, that would be a great chance to change your e-mail address, folks would probably expect you to just like your phone number and land address.

Related Posts with Thumbnails