Today was one for the books ..... literally!!
It started with Craig waking me up at 4am to kiss my good bye and to tell me I had a flat tire. But not to worry. He had put the spare tire on and all I had to do was get it fixed.
Hours later I woke up and didn't remember about the flat tire. So I was surprised when he called to see if I had already taken the car in. Nope. He said it would have been better if I'd taken it in early. So I scrambled the kids into the van and drove them to my mom-in-laws. She's truly a Godsend. I then drove off to Walmart (yes, I'm still not shopping there BUT Craig is and the tires were under warranty there).
I got there around 11am and didn't leave until 3pm. I went there for one tire but was told the 2nd front tire was also punctured as well as one back tire. But they didn't have enough tires. So, I drove to my mom's to check on the kids. They were fine and she told me to go and fix the problem. I arrived at the 2nd Walmart at 4pm and didn't leave until 5:30pm. The last tire was free because it was still new.
I won't say it was a complete waste of a day because I learned the following:
1. How to text message. Craig wasn't answering my phone calls and I needed to know if what they were telling me (I'm a complete idiot when it comes to cars and tires and anything mechanical) was correct. He was impressed that I learned to text message.
I had nothing else to do but sit there and figure it out!! LOL! He called me right away after the text message. Hmmmmm .... I think I've found my new mode of communication!!
2. I took my favorite book along and found a cheaper way to display my books facing forward. For years I've wanted to have forward facing books, but couldn't justify the cost of expensive forward facing bookshelves. Well, I found a cheaper alternative that won't take up any floor space. I must say that I own three different editions of Jim Trelease's book. He didn't mention this in the first two I own. Is that fair? Do I have to keep buying his book when a new edition comes out? Because each edition is almost a completely different book!!!
3. Jim made such a convincing argument for the Harry Potter books that I'm actually considering reading them before making the decision whether my kids will read them. UGH!! I hate finding new evidence after I've made up my mind!!
4. I felt TOTALLY sick and nauseated and just wanted to curl up on the bench. Pregnancy is going well. And most days I can handle the sickness, but not all day in Walmart.
5. I realized how lucky I am that this happened with family nearby. I am continually amazed how blessed I am to be near family. I think had this happened back in "the woods," I would have cancelled all outings until Thursday and just stayed home.
But now that its done, I'm relieved and excited about getting those rain gutter bookshelves. Now to find the wall space! LOL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I have older editions of his book, and I DO recall him mentioning the gutter shelves. It could be that you just missed it amongst all the other great stuff you were reading. :-)
AND the general consensus among Harry Potter lovers is that the first three are okay for younger readers, but after that they get very dark and scary and should not be read until they are older. Delaney read the first three, and then I cut her off. :-)
Hi Lillian, Michelle Halpins sister here! I got a laugh out of your Walmart story because I am constantly having to wait 3 plus hours just for an OIL CHANGE. And we have 3 or 4 walmaarts in the area and they are ALL that bad. And I have a 15 month old that just won't sit around and shop that long! I've heard of other women, especially moms, not shopping at Walmart anymore. I'd be interested to hear your take on why you don't shope there and if you have found comprable prices elswehere. I hate to admit that's why we shop/schlep there every week.
Hmmmm, I'm looking in my 4th edition in the same chapter and there is no mention of the gutter bookshelves. Maybe it's in another part of the book but I would think it would stay in the same place. Also, my 4th edition has no pictures at all. My new 6th edition has tons of pictures of the rain gutter bookshelves and talks about them for pages and pages. My oldest edition (2nd I think) was lent out years ago and never returned so I don't know about that one. Maybe he mentions it in the 5th edition? I skipped from 2nd to 4th to 6th. The 4th and 6th edition are different books! LOL!
As for Walmart, we have a store here called HEB and they have very good prices on food. We also pick up alot of stuff from Target and/or Lowes. So it doesn't hurt us to not go to Walmart. And HEB is a local homegrown store chain.
Oh, and Brenda, say HI to Michelle for me. I miss her dearly!
Lillian- I love the gutter bookshelf! I am ithcing for forward facing shelves but they're too pricey- I might try to build some of my own! I just added this book you're talking about to the list of books I'm reading that you and Emily recommend. Your homeschooling list hasn't disappointed me yet. Thanks!
LOVE the gutter shelf idea!
Glad you survived today's adventure!
Those bookshelves are a very cool idea. It'd be neat if I had a place to do such a thing, though I don't know if I have wall space that would be appropriate to use in such a way. But I do think our books would get better rotation if they were displayed like this. Good luck!
Gordon will thank you when I tell him he needs to go to Home Depot! :)
I have been going back and forth and back and forth on buying the expensive shelves. Now I don't have to!!! WHOOP! Thanks for the tip!
Oh, and as for me... I would be a very happy camper if I got stuck in Wal-Mart by myself for a few hours :) ...the other day I was in the bedding dept alone for one hour. --Perhaps I need to worry less about the money and more about the TIME I waste trying to find what I want and the price that I want...
Miss you terribly,
Bev
Post a Comment